My Wild Ones ~ First Horse Riding Lessons

For Luca’s fourth birthday his Aunty Ash bought him some horse riding lessons.  Luca has been riding with me before. He has had a little trot with me whilst Ash runs alongside ready to grab him.  He’s always loved being at the stables and I’ve been dying to get him riding properly for ages.  I couldn’t wait until he was old enough for lessons and at the weekend that day finally arrived.

We took him to the Northern Riding Centre, about a 20 minute drive from our house.  We arrived and headed to reception to get him fitted for a hat.  Then his lovely instructor, Tony, went and fetched his pony for him.  Luca took the reins and walked Toby to the arena for his lesson.

He was a little dubious at first but I think it was more to do with Tony than Toby, the pony.  He didn’t want me to leave him on his own, so I ended up walking around with him for the lesson.

horse riding 1

I was so impressed with the level of teaching Luca received.  Tony had him learning how to do a rising trot within ten minutes of being in the saddle.

By the end he was happy for me to step away and take a few photos of him.  We had big smiles all around and Luca was chatting away to the Tony and being his usual cheeky self.   He then dismounted and walked Toby back to his stable.

Horse riding 2

I’m so happy he enjoyed it and wants to go back for more lessons, this weekend in fact.  I’m already dreaming of family days spent horse riding and going on horsey picnics together.

MyWildOnes

22 thoughts on “My Wild Ones ~ First Horse Riding Lessons

1. Mums Space | Tara says:

Wow well done Luca! My little girl is obsessed with horses I think we are going to get her in for a few lessons! This has definitely made my mind up … off to have a look now #MyWildOnes

• Franki says:

You so should get her some lessons. They are so good for many different reasons. Just make sure you get her into a good stables or else it’s a lot of money on nothing. xx

2. Sarah says:

It looks like he’s really enjoying himself! Unfortunately I’m really allergic to horses so there’s no horse riding in our family. It’s a shame because it looks like a great activity for all ages. #MyWildOnes

• Franki says:

Oh gosh I don’t know what I would do if I was allergic. I absolutely love riding and just being around horses in general. You’ll just have to send someone else with the others and sheep dip them when they get back. 😉

3. Coombe Mill says:

It’s great when your kids become interested in something you enjoy, it feels like it opens up more possibilities doesn’t it? He definitely looks more confident towards the end of his lesson compared to the start! I’m sure his next lesson will be even better and he’ll be riding super confidently in no time at all!

Thanks for sharing with me on #CountryKids.

• Franki says:

You should see him now, he’s so good at it and so confident. Hopefully we’ll be riding together before I know it.

• Franki says:

It’s an expensive hobby but I can’t complain when I’ve spent so much on it myself. Hopefully it will be an interest for life for him. I think it’s a good interest to have too, so much to learn from it as well as the riding itself.